li ar Austin Akin's Cancer Battle: Memory Tree








Monday, August 06, 2007

Memory Tree


The Memory Tree at Methodist Children's Hospital

Austin's leaf on the Memory Tree




In front of the Memory Tree

How time flies... It has now been four months since Austin's death. It all still seems like yesterday to me. I know I feel him around but just wish I could give him a big hug and kiss. A friend of mine's little boy, Aidan, is two weeks older then Austin and was Austin's playmate. We use to say how they would be best buds growing up since they were so close in age. Little did we know Austin wouldn't make it pass the age of two. The little boy's mother told me today that he was playing with one of his toys and decided to put the toy down. It seems to be a toy that he never puts down. She asked him why he put it down and he said "Austin playing with it". She said it was plain as day. WOW!!!

The Memory Tree.... What a wonderful idea.. Methodist Children's Hospital, where Austin was treated and spent his last days, has a memorial tree on the 3rd floor. I was honored to put his name on the tree on Friday.. I thought the visit to the hospital would be harder then it was but it really wasn't. I was so glad to see everyone again and glad to talk to Dr. Grimley and Dr. Patel. I honestly didn't think anyone would recognize me without Austin since his smile use to take over. These are wonderful people that entered our lives and I was so torn when Austin died that I would lose them. They have all touched our lives in so many ways and although we had to meet them under horrible circumstances I have always been glad I have met them. I will always be grateful for them. As I am reminded that Methodist Hospital was our "second home".

It was funny too that day... during lunch at Cracker Barrel I saw Tony Parker and Eva Longoria!!!!! What a day.

The weekend before last we were blessed to hear Mark Schultz sing in Austin. He is an amazing Christian singer. We got to hear the wonderful song "He's my son" in person. If your not familiar with the song, it is a song written for this couple that Mark knew who's son was battling cancer. The song captures how Jason and I felt for Austin. We also were able to play the song to Austin hours before he died.

Austin - We Love and Miss you so very much and no your smiling at us from heaven!!!!

Elizabeth

2 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I think of Austin everyday. Your tough little guy really touched my heart.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger mp said...

That tree is beautiful! Glad you got to put Austin's name on it. Thank you for still coming on here and posting. You are such a brave and strong momma!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home