li ar Austin Akin's Cancer Battle: A ride to the O.R.








Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A ride to the O.R.


Hey all,

You know you are tired when... you type a post to the blog and forget to publish it an lose it. Yep that is me. Writing this blog for the second time. I hope I can remember everything I wrote before.

Well Austin got his new port placed today. It is on the opposite side as his first port. Our day started off with breakfast at 5:15 a. m., nap at 8:30 (yeah for me I got to take a shower), and out the door at 9:15 a.m. We got to the hospital around 10 a.m. and they took us back really fast. They were not happy with me that I fed Austin breakfast at 5:15. They asked if I knew that the NPO instructions were NPO at midnight. I let them know that the surgeon's office called and gave me the NPO instructions of no solids past 6 am and clear liquids past 10 a.m. I let them know too that it is saved on my answer machine when they threw it in my face that the office would just say they didn't say that. The reason they were ticked off was they had an opening right then to put Austin's port in. Instead we had to wait and of course they were then behind. He was due in procedure at noon and I think it was 1 p.m. when they got him down. He fell asleep before he went back and this time he got to ride in a wagon to the O.R. He slept mostly when he got back to recovery and when he woke up they gave him some pain meds. It made him nauseous so they gave him some Zofran. We were there until about 5:30 p.m. The only thing that could get Austin moving was asking if he wanted to see his puppy. So he reached for his Nannie to take him to his puppy. So we dropped Nannie off and picked up puppy to have a sleepover. Austin is almost back to normal. He ate pizza for dinner.

We have radiation tomorrow. He should be in procedure at 1:45 (so they say).Breakfast will be served to Austin at 5 a.m. at the Akin Casa. The NPO instructions from the clinic are no solids past 5:30 a.m. and milk until 7 a.m. So we will then take a nap and then head out the door around 10:10 to go to the clinic.

Prayer warriors start your praying. Our friend Max is having major surgery early tomorrow morning and I am requesting if you would add him to your prayer list.

Well after writing this the second time I am really tired. So I am going to try and go to bed early tonight!!

Love,

Elizabeth