li ar Austin Akin's Cancer Battle: Home Sweet Home








Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Home Sweet Home


Hey Everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that we are home safe and sound. We were discharged today at 6pm. Austin is doing great. We had a crazy stay but at least it was short. The port was infected so it is out. They gave him antibiotics which of course gave him diarrhea. Yuck! So I have been changing diapers left and right. We were on a different floor this time so it was kind of nice. We started on the oncology floor but when we were admitted our roommates mother freaked out because Austin had a fever and her son had no counts and didn't want him to have a roommate. I can understand the lady's frustration but what was I to do? The oncology floor was full and that is how it works. The roommate was Dr. Patel's patient as well. I am not crazy about having roommates, who is, but you just have to deal with it. Austin had to get and IV placed so he was screaming a lot. Poor baby! It made me very frustrated. He just clung to me and I tried everything to make him stop crying. The roommates mother approached Jason and I with that if Austin had something that we needed to let the doctor know. I kept trying to brush the lady off because it really wasn't her business to know about Austin. I just told her, look Austin has a line infection and she just kept on going how her son has no counts. It was hard to deal with. I broke down and started crying. I had to leave the room. I felt I needed to let someone know what this lady had done to me. I didn't want to complain because in a way I felt bad for her because, yes I have been in her shoes with Austin not having counts and you worry about a roommate having something and giving it to your child. But do you think Dr. Patel would put another child at risk. NO. He put the kids together so he knows what he is doing. I let the nurse manger know what happened only for information, not to complain. She said she would let her supervisor know. Dr. Patel came in and said he need to take care of something and would be right back. He asked those parents to come out of the room to talk with them. He then came back very angry at the hospital because they wanted to move us. I told him it was fine. They moved us to another floor (surgical floor) It worked out fine in the end. We got our own BIG room and it was a quite floor. I am not sure why really DR. Patel was mad at the hospital but he was very upset. Anyways it all turned out fine. So the lady got her way and got her own room and so did we. Dr. Patel said it hurt him very much to see me crying and that bothered him as well. He did let us know a little bit about his conversation with the parents. He explained to them that every mother feels like she does about there child. So her approaching me was not right. The father told Dr. Patel that he wished he would run into us again so he could apologiez.

Austin will be on oral antibiotics for ten days. He goes back to see DR. Patel on Friday and they will take his dressing off. We will go in monday back to the hospital to place another port in. It should be just day surgery. He will then start radiation on Wednesday. So now we get to stay home and rest.

Austin is walking everywhere. The first thing he did when he got home was walk to his room and empty out his bucket of balls. He went to sleep pretty well and I hope he stays asleep through the night.

Well I am very tired now and am going to try and go to sleep. I will post more tomorrow.

I would like to ask everyone to pray for my niece. She ended up in the hospital too. She is doing MUCH better but I would like a prayer chain to start so we can make sure we have extra angels watching over her.

Good night and sleep Tight!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home