li ar Austin Akin's Cancer Battle: Why does it pour when it rains?








Thursday, February 08, 2007

Why does it pour when it rains?





Austin being a big boy riding on the stretcher of the EMS







Silly little Austin







Dare Devil Austin







Austin and his smile



Sorry for no update yesterday. I had one of those days where you wish that the day would end right that minute. I didn't want to blog because some of the information I had I wasn't sure it was correct. So I wanted to wait.

Yesterday........ Austin was scheduled for 9:00 am radiation at CTRC. The ambulance dropped us off and asked if they should stay or leave. The nurse told them this treatment would be hours because they were also going to do a simulation to add treatment. So the ambulance left. One of the docs there came by to talk to me about his simulation. He told me that they were going to take a CT from the neck down to locate the SPOTS (first clue). He said they were going to probably make a cradle to get his arm and his LEG (second clue) in the same place every time. I said leg??? I knew about the arm but leg? He said yes and pulled out the report from the bone scan. Said there was a lesion under his left knee. I think I almost passed out right there. Austin was asleep and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I told Austin's nurse and we both had the red watery eyes, "like is this really happening". So when they got Austin into treatment I went and called Traci, to see if Dr. Grimley knew anything. She called back and said that he was out of town but she didn't think he knew about the leg, the arm yes, but not the leg, or at least he didn't tell her if he knew. I also put a call into Patsy to see if she could help me. I kept telling myself this guy has to be wrong. He has to be. My phone then lost power. I sat for FOUR long hours. We made it back and I talked to Austin's nurse on the floor. She said she had a call into Patel and would talk to him. After her conversation with Patel she said yes there is a lesion there and he thought I knew. PANIC!!!!!!!!! Radiation went well. Austin has all kinds of marks on him for treatment.

Today................... Bright and early Patel was here to do his rounds. Patel sat on the other bed next to Austin's and apologized up and down because he thought between all three doctors that it was discussed. I said no not the leg, the arm yes. He said that the leg is an OLD NON ACTIVE lesion just like the arm. He reminded me that they said that about the one on top of his head back in April. So yes thank god they are NON ACTIVE lesions. The only active one is the one behind his right eye. They want to radiate the arm and the leg to be safe. It makes sense and I am so glad that it is not a NEW one like I thought.

Radiation went well today again. They have been having trouble with one of the machines for the past few days causing delay. We left the hospital today at 11:45 and got back at 4:30. When Austin woke up from sedation he said "HI" and gave me a hug and blew me a kiss. We got back in the room and they came to hook him up. He was not a happy camper as he wanted to run around the room and play. He was sitting in the bed and the nurse was trying to hook him up (it is a new nurse for us) and he told her "GO AWAY". It was plain as day. I didn't say anything and the nurse said well that came out clear. So yes she did hear it too. Oops. He is now getting platelets and got the good old benadryl. So nite nite to Austin for a little bit (I think). He is still kind of awake watching a movie but is very quite with heavy eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home