li ar Austin Akin's Cancer Battle: Where do I begin....








Monday, January 08, 2007

Where do I begin....

We went to Austin's appointment today with hopes of finding out more about surgery. Patel said that the surgeons are now not sure about surgery. The risk involved and not sure the can get the tumor out. I told them I felt if they could just get some out I would be happy and asked "isn't that what Dr. Eng wanted, just to get as much as they could?" and he said yes that is what we just need. But he just wasn't sure this was all going to work since we only had this week to get it done. Here it is Monday and no word on surgery. Patel says well if they can't do it then we need to just move on to radiation, we don't have time to spare. He checked his counts and they are all good except for platelets. They were 38. So yes he will need platelets. We made out appointment for Wednesday and went about out way. At 2:17 the phone rings and it is San Antonio Pediatric Surgeons. They have an opening for 11:30 on Wednesday for Austin's surgery. WOW. We went from nothing to boom, it is scheduled. The lady said that Dr. Dowski wanted a certain surgeon to be the assistant and the spot came open. Dr. Dowski is on post call but took the opportunity to do it. Yeah!!! The ball is now rolling and it sounds like it is in our court. I knew there was a reason why I hadn't posted a blog yet!!!! Good things come to those who wait!!!

So here some icing to the cake. My window in my car is not working. We have a warranty. It expires in February. HMMMMM.. What a great time for this to happen. So since we just had tomorrow to get it done I called and they said they could do it. Luckily our warranty pays for a rent car but he said the THINKS he can have a car for me, they better have one. I have to go to New Braunfels to take it. So that was set. Well then it dawned on me that his platelets were 38 today and I figured he would need platelets on Wednesday and thought well that isn't going to work he will be in surgery!!! So I called Patel's office so they could ask him if we needed to go into tomorrow to see if he needs platelets (which I am sure he will need to). So now we need to go there tomorrow too. Oh what a busy day we will have. I will have to figure out how it will all get done, but all and all it will get done.

Thanks for everyone's support during these times of needs. I don't know what we would do without you guys. All the comments and emails keeps me going. The blog is very therapeutic for me.

Sorry for Austin's website for being down. I am not sure what is going on and Uncle Alan isn't available for right now to fix it. So as soon as he can he will or hopefully it will fix itself. Sorry. Do remember you can get to the blog by going to www.austinakin.blogspot.com

Elizabeth

3 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger The Kelleys said...

It amazes me the things Dr's can do. I will be thinking of all of you on Wednesday. Everything is being rushed and a whirl wind but the sooner the better and the less time you have to think about things.
We all love you.
Give Austin a big hug from us.
LOVE,
AMY, BRAD and AJ

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading Austin's story. I feel I must now comment because of the issue with surgery. My son has had NB for almost four years and I have been around a lot of other families.

There is a surgeon who has operated on many many children whose local surgeons said that they could not operate or could not remove the whole tumor. My son is one of them - but I could tell you the names of a dozen more who came to him after incomplete surgies at home or being turned down for surgeries at home. He is truly gifted and does several NB surgeries a week. His name is Michael Laqulia and he is at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New york City. They are experts on NB there and he is truly gifted.

Please contact me or join the NB listserv if you want more information
www.acor.org then choose mailing lists and then choose N and N-Blast.

Susan Gentry
mom to Nathan
www.caringbridge.org/co/nathanmichael

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason, Elizabeth, and Austin,
You are all in our prayers each day...we will especially be
thinking of you on Wednesday. We pray God's best to Austin.
I check the blog most days and I have Austin's picutre on my
cubicle - when asked, I tell Austin's story - adding
to the prayers.
Many at BOCC are praying for Austin as well..We love you
all...
Don, Tricia, Jenny, and Aaron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home