li ar Austin Akin's Cancer Battle: "daddy"








Friday, January 19, 2007

"daddy"

Yeah that is what Austin called Patel today. "daddy". What a honor I am sure he feels. I said that isn't daddy but you can call him that. Patel says yeah I am like your second daddy. Oh how cute. Ok now, on with the news that I am sure everyone is waiting for......

The scans......the tumor behind the eye is stable. The area where they took out the tumor is very, very minimal. So small you can't see with the human eye. (which we figured) the arm...there something I need to tell you that I didn't post about. While we were in PICU they were taking chest xrays for the chest tube and low and be hold they found a spot on his right arm. The nurse pointed it out to Patel but he acted as if it really wasn't much of anything. I was so worried because once again it was on his right side and too that the tumor they took out was maturing. I didn't want to post about it until we found out some info on it. I found out today it was on the old scans so Patel knew about it. He says it is strange. It is in the bone but not in the bone marrow so it is on the surface. So hopefully we will radiate that. Patel overall was pleased with the scans and so am I. Better then what I expected. He said there was no pneumonia which was a concern if you remember. When they moved his diaphram the surgeon said he could get pneumonia easily. He also said that the lung where the tumor was "stuck" to inflated back to normal size.

Patel is still working on the chemo regiment for Austin. He wants to use certain ones we used in the past because they have kept his NSE down. NSE is a test they run that detects tumors. When he relapsed in was in the 200's now it is 5. So Patel feels we need to stick those chemos because they have kept the NSE down. So more then likely we will be starting chemo Monday just depending on his counts. Speaking on counts, they were very good Patel said. The white blood count was 2.4 and normal range is 4.1 - 10.9. So it is still low but good it is up on it's own. Red blood cells are hanging in there at 12 normal range is 12 - 18 and his last transfusion was a week ago. His ANC is 1,100 and normal is 2,000 - 7,800. Platelets are at 50 and we are hoping he stays that way for Monday to start chemo.

I am to call CTRC to set up Austin's radiation simulation so we can get a move on radiation. Patel wants him to start radiation by Wednesday if they can get it all ready. So yes a very busy week next week.

I think I have covered it all. I hope. If I have forgotten anything I will add in another blog. Austin still feels well. Playing with all his toys and enjoying being home. He was a little cranky when we went to Patel's but once he saw Patel he stopped. Amazing how when he sees him he stops crying. I guess he has realized that Patel is his "guardian angel.

Elizabeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home