li ar Austin Akin's Cancer Battle: Discovery in NB!!!!








Saturday, August 30, 2008

Discovery in NB!!!!




Hello all,


Sorry it has been so long since my last post. It just doesn't feel right writing about Andrew on Austin's blog. I will update about Andrew though, so don't worry but first about the discovery in NB. I nearly fell on the floor when I read the title but Scientists have discovered gene mutations that are the main cause of the inherited (familial) version of the childhood cancer neuroblastoma. In addition, the researchers found that the same mutations play a significant role in high-risk forms of non-inherited neuroblastoma, the more common form of the disease. Clinical trials are planned to target the gene product in children with neuroblastoma. Here is the link if you would like to read the article. http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/543628/


Now about Andrew. He is doing well. Getting so big. Right before his two month check up I noticed that his right side of his head was kind of flat. I was so mad at myself. I would rotate his head but he would always go back to the right side to lay. I even woke up in the middle of the night to move him but he would always go back. It is so different this time around because with Austin he was on his side so I would just rotate sides. Now they have them sleeping on their backs so it is very important that you rotate their heads. We went to the doctor for his two month check up and I voiced my concerned about his head. The doctor said "yeah I see that and am about to jump all over your case". I told him that I rotate his head but he keeps favoring his right side. He worked with a little and discovered that he has Torticolis. He favors the right because the left side neck muscles are tight. His case is mild but man do I wish it was diagnosed sooner. But this diagnosed is way better then getting diagnosed with cancer any day. Treatment is going to physical therapy. We have gone twice and they have given me exercise to do at home and that is pretty much it. He is doing oh so much better!!! Now he holds his head up and turns to left all the time!!! LOL He is already wanting to sit up. Doesn't want to lay down and be a baby. That is just like how his brother was.

There are days when I go in to pick him up out of his crib and boy I have flash backs of Austin. It kind of scares me. We talk about Austin all the time. We call him "bubba". We look at pictures of him all of the time. We watch videos of him all the time. Andrew just smiles at him like he knows him. That's the way I want it. On the way to church on Sundays we pass by the cemetery and we shout out "We love you and miss you Bubba!!".

I am now back at work and Andrew is staying with my mom. They are finally getting on a schedule and enjoying being with each other. It is hard not being with him each day but I know he is great care of someone that loves him so dear. In the morning we are up so early that we get to watch the Wiggles. This of course as you all know was Austin's favorite show. So we watch it in memory of him. Andrew loves it. He almost acts like he already knew about them. I swear he even started cooing like he was singing with them like Austin use to do.

We go back to the doctor in September for his four month check. Boy do I have many questions for the doctor. Especially with this new discovery with NB. I am thinking we will want to check Andrew out to be safe. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel on Andrew looking for lumps but I knew I would do that. I think he is getting use to it.

We want to thank everyone for keeping us in your prayers over the years. We are so thankful for the blessings in our lives. We miss Austin everyday but know that he is here in spirit. When I look at Andrew I see a little of Austin smiling at me saying "I love you Mommy". He has given us such a wonderful gift, his little brother Andrew.

3 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Emma said...

Thanks for the heads up about the new NB discovery! I try to follow NB research but hadn't heard of this yet. So glad to hear that Andrew is doing so well - he sure is a cutie just like his brother! Thanks for updating.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew is adorable! He's starting to look a little more like his big 'bubba' as he gets older. I even sometimes feel around my niece for any lumps just because it still worries me. I know what a sneaky and nasty disease it is.

Thanks for that NB link. I'm always interested to hear what new discoveries are being made, we NEED to find a cure for this nasty disease already. I hope Austin and his friends will help lead researchers to the cure.

Love & miss you Austin!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger mp said...

whoo hoo! great news NB news! thanks for sharing.

Andrew is so stinkin' cute!! He is adorable! Good to hear from you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home