li ar Austin Akin's Cancer Battle: Fight to the end.....








Friday, April 06, 2007

Fight to the end.....

The last twenty four hours with Austin have been hard for me as he was fading fast. All I could do was look at him and remember all the fun times I had with him and what a wonderful child he was. Last night he truly showed us a miracle, not the miracle we all wanted but it was indeed a miracle. We saw that Austin was becoming more distant so I swept him up and we started praying. The nurses started to increase his morphine to make him more comfortable. They brought in the black soft rocking chair that I rocked Austin many times in during his first transplant. I sat in the rocker and immediately noticed that Austin fell into a coma. His breathing was shallow and his congestion was getting louder. They continued to increase his morphine and then it happened. I was holding Austin's hand and he squeezed my hand, harder then anyone has ever squeezed it. I immediately screamed out and started crying. He lifted his head and then took a breath. He was gone. He wasn't breathing and didn't have pulse for ten minutes. They unhooked him from his cords as we all sat there and cried. Then the unthinkable happened. He started breathing again and got a pulse back. We could not believe it. The nurse could not believe it. All the five years that she has done the hospice nursing she had not seen this. Austin just didn't want to give up his fight. All he has know is too fight. He came and went a few more times, never gone more then five minutes. He finally settled down and had steady breathing. We couldn't figure out why Austin was hanging on but wonder if he needed to still say goodbye to his doctors and nurses. His favorite nurse Delores came in and talked to him about going. Then Dr. Patel came in and told him it was time. Patsy came by to say good bye and Dr. Grimley told him to rest. He still fought. Dr. Patel later came back and said Austin's body had built up a tolerance to the morhpine and need to switch him to something stronger. They would slowly wing him off the morphine and increase the new drug. When the morphine was threw I noticed Austin's breathing changed. As they increased the dose of the new medicine, the less breaths he took. Finally at 3:55 this afternoon Austin took his last breath and earned his angel wings. He is now about the clouds in a better world where some day we too will be with him again. When we were for sure that Austin was gone, I swept him up in my arms and held him for one last time. He was so peaceful and so was I. I could feel his spirit leave his body and it gave me a sense of strength. Austin taught me strength. How I am doing it I don't know, but I am the strong one right now. I have taking care of Austin for so long and that is all I know how to do but now it's time for me to take care of Jason as he is not as strong as me right now.

As Austin laid there on the hospital bed peacefully, I managed to cut part of his "blankie" off for myself to keep. I left him with the rest of his blue blankie, his Wiggles blanket and the beautiful quilt that Dr. Patel's daughter made for him. Saying good bye and leaving Austin behind today was the hardest thing I have had to do. Austin has never been away from us but for one night and that was the first night he was born. I left Austin in good hands at the hospital with his favorite nurse Delores. She was going to sit with him until the mortuary came to pick him up. I felt to she needed to spend some alone time with him as she has been by his side since day of his cancer fight. She said to him,"we started this together and we're going to end this together". Delores also had her own battle with cancer as a child. So she can relate to all the treatment Austin has been through. After we said good bye it was time to leave our second home. I had my brother take the car seat out of the back of my car so I wouldn't see the "empty" car seat. When I got home Jason was already home sitting on the back porch holding one of Austin's tennis shoes. I felt so bad for him as I wanted to come home first so I could put all of Austin's things away until we were ready to look at them. I managed to do this with a few break downs. It was hard putting his high chair away but most of all it was the worst when I found his Wiggle's pillow on the couch.

Right now I am sitting at the dinning room table writing this blog and the house is so quiet. No little toddler noises through out the house. Just the sounds for eight little paws running around. It was hard for me to tell the dogs that Austin wasn't coming home as I feel that sense something is going on.

I am so proud of Austin and his courage for wanting to fight for so long. He is truley and inspiration to me and to many more. He has taught me so many things in life and one is how to love. I am so glad that I could be a part of his life and just wish I had more time with him hear on earth. I whispered in his ear that I will meet him on the other side and how we can go to Disney World in our dreams. I asked him to be Cooper's and Aidan's guardian angel and watch over their lives.

We want to thank all the many readers for their prayers and support, Dr. Patel and staff. Methodisth Children's Hospital staff and Delores and Dr. Grimley. We have busy days that lie ahead of us to plan Austin's journey to Heaven. As soon as I know details of everything I will put it up in a post. Thanks again for all that everyone has done, Austin could of kept up the fitht without all of you.

Elizabeth

14 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the loss of such a beautiful little boy. I too feel so honored that I could be part of Austin's journey. He will be in many hearts for ever.
With warm regards,
Kylie.

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fly high sweet Austin!! Lord, please keep his family close to you during this time.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Gwen said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I will miss Austin very much, but Heaven has gained an AWESOME little angel! Love, Gwen

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gld Bless You and Keep You. You are all so couragious. I'm so sorry that Austin had to go so soon, but I thank GOD he had you to hold him. You're in my prayers.. I know that Austin is healed, running around in Heaven with a full head of hair, strength never to be beaten, and full of love and peace. We don't know you, but we love you all. God Bless.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger The other me said...

I can't even begin to think what to say.....what a miracle your baby has always been. He will never know pain again, just absolute joy and happiness. I hope that you will always know peace and happiness too. Helen.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest In Peace...

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so deeply sorry for your loss. Austin was such a sweet little boy. His contagious smile and bright, beautiful eyes brought joy to everyone he came in contact with. I'm so amazed by your strength. I pray that God will comfort Austin's entire family during this difficult time. He deserved those angel wings more than anyone could. He's cancer-free and he's able to do all the things his little body wouldn't allow him to do here on earth. God bless you, Austin!!

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my heart goes out to your family... i'm so sorry for your loss. austin sounds so much braver than most people that i know. he (and many other little soliders) have inspired me in so many ways...

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for awhile now and want you to know what an inspiration you have been for me. Any time that I feel overwhelmed or frustrated, I think of you, Elizabeth, and your dedication, and all that you have gone through and it puts things in perspective for me. You have shown me to never take anything for granted, especially my family. I lost my brother to leukemia as a child so I know how hard this is for you and your family. Austin will always be watching over you and you will always be with him in your heart and in your dreams. I will always remember you and thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your son! It's always hard to understand why the little one's have to go before us!!
I have a friend who's daughter lost her battle w/cancer 2 1/2 years ago at the age of 14.
May God be with all of you at this time!

Jodi S.
www.caringbridge.org/sd/michaela

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Jennifer (Kids Cancer Crusade) said...

Sending you absolutely all my love. As you know I loved your little guy so much, as did many others. Before beginning KCC, never did I imagine a toddler could be such an inspiration but Austin sure laid down the mold for that. I wish I could be there for the celebration of his life, but know I will be thinking of you every step of the way.

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are no words adequate to say. I pray that you are comforted by your faith, memories, and the love of family and friends. Austin will always hold a special place in your heart and in the hearts of the many people he touched. He was such a fighter and so is his mama. I hope it is encouraging to you that we celebrate Easter with the promise of eternal life. Austin is in Heaven and you will see him again. I pray that that knowledge comforts you in your saddest moments.

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of Austin's passing. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with ya'll. Know that Austin is now your Angel watching over you and you will one again see him someday. God Bless.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know you I was emailed this from my sister in law I think by accdent or was it I think that GOD has a plan and I don't think that it was an accident. I have read all of your blogs you have so much courage. I want to just give you a hug I am truly sorry for your loss. You know you always think that things can't possibly get any worse and then GOD intervines with something like this blog I want to go home and just hold my child and never let go. I will put you in our prayers. Again I am so sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home