li ar Austin Akin's Cancer Battle: All too soon....








Tuesday, April 03, 2007

All too soon....

Okay, where to begin. For Austin's birthday we had a CT done of his neck, chest and pelvis. They came in and gave him a cake presents and sang Happy Birthday to him after he got back from the scan. Then a little while later Dr. Grimley and Delores (our favorite nurse from clinic) came in. He leaned his body against the sink and said "we found something" and then just starred and looked at me. I knew right then what he ment. I then replied, "the cancer is back". He said "yes, very bad too". From the report of the CT scan they said the cancer was everywhere. It was even in his spine which is the reason he can not walk. I broke down and cried and then asked."what do we do?". Dr. Grimley responded with "nothing, the cancer is too aggressive." We have asked how much time we have with Austin but they have only told us a while. I think Austin has shocked all of Methodist Children's with this news. I thought that a CT scan for his birthday was bad but this has to be the worst present ever. Grimley said " I didn't want to have to give you this news today but didn't think I could keep it from you." I agreed. We needed to know. Austin is comfortable now. He has a morphine drip going at all times. He mostly sleeps and is still eating and today he finally decided to drink his milk. I have said in the past blog that writing about Austin's relapse was the hardest blog to write, but I was wrong. A blog telling your readers that your son went from a newly transplant patient in remission to relapse number three has to be the worst.

I am still numb and don't understand it all but I am trying to be strong for Austin's sake. All though it seems Austin is trying to be there for me. I cried my heart out when I heard the news and he just looked at me like "mommy it's going to be alright". Jason and I have decided to stay at the hospital until it happens as I don't think I could deal with this at home. We have many family members and friends that have come up to show their support and we are very greatful that we have them with us to end this journey. A long journey I must say but all to soon.

The staff here at Methodist has been wonderful to us with accomidating us in every way. They have turned the care back over to Dr. Patel who will keep Austin comfortable to the very end. They have not given us a real time frame as to when he will go but Patel has said today that he wants us here at the hospital with our "family" (the Methodist family) here. I agree on this, as the hospital has become our second home. I will keep everyone update on his journey to the end and do appoligiez for getting this blog to you so late but I honesty didn't know if I could write this. We needed to let our family get the news from us and not from the computer. Thank you for the continued prayers and support as we couldn't of gotten where we are today without each and everyone of you. I feel the end is near and my heart is broken and know Austin will carry that piece with him. I have asked him to wait for me on the other side and then we can do all the things we never got to do together. He will then be free of pain and cancer and can be the normal little boy I have always prayed and hoped for.

I want to end with a poem that our Neuroblastoma friend Cooper's Mom feels reminds her of Austin.

Elizabeth

Hope -Jarred Meteau


A seed floating in the wind with no direction
Slowly fading away, it has no protection
Lands on the bank but sees no reflection
A choice must be made, life's intersection

Grow into a tree or fade into the past
Soar like an eagle, this spring may be it's last
A decision must be made before the dead of night
Is it time to lie down and die, or is it time to fight

It made the right choice and decided to grow
But wasn't its choice to make, of this it did not know
Already determined the seed would never be a tree
It dreams of a better life but hope is all it will ever be

17 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know you dont know me. But i have been reading austins blog for some time now. i think i found it through a link on christi thomas's page. I lived in San Antonio also at the time. Since we have moved out of state i check austins page daily. I am so sorry to hear this news. I was in tears reading this it breaks my heart. He is such a sweet little boy.. my heart and love goes out to you and your family.

linds50396@hotmail.com

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry , I dont know what more I can say. It has taken me a few times to read the update as I couldnt bring myself to read it all at once. My heart goes out to your family and I wish there was somthing that I could do to help. Austin is an amazing little fighter that will be in my heart forever.

Kylie.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Jennifer (Kids Cancer Crusade) said...

My heart is so heavy. I have fallen so in love with Austin as I've followed his fight...this just cannot be! Sending you ALL my love.

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart is broken as I read this entry tonight. I just can't see how this has happened, Austin has fought so hard for so long. I will continue praying hard for a miracle for sweet little Austin. I truly hate this disease more than anything, it has taken far too many lives of so many precious children. Austin, keep fighting little man! You are so loved and cared about by so many people. You are a true hero and inspiration!

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have been following your story for months and keeping you in my prayers. Both you and Austin have both touched me in a way I can't describe. Please know that there are many others like me who will be praying you through this.
Lisa

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Danci Rose said...

Sending you my thoughts and prayers. I hope Austin is able to spend the rest of his days happy, pain free and playful. I wish your family the best with all that you are facing.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I am so stunned. Here I thought things were looking up and he was beating this thing. I haven't got to meet you but I feel we have been friends forever. I fell in love with Austin since first reading his website. I pray things go easy and that you all will have the strength to get through this. Please keep us informed on how he is doing if you need to talk you have my number.

LOVE TO YOU ALL.
AMY

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too found your website through Christi Thomas. I have been following Austin's journey for sometime now. I have been in awe of your little boy. I have a daughter that is about 3 months younger than Austin, and I am inspired by your strenght. I was absolutely shocked to read the blog today. You will be in my prayers, and Austin's will always be on my mind.

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry!! I know I speak for a lot of people when I say that even though I never had the pleasure of meeting Austin, I loved him! I have read his blog and myspace page daily and I'm going to miss him and that gorgeous smile!!!! I know there is nothing anyone can say to make this easier for you, but try to find comfort in knowing he wont be hurting anymore. And Austin couldn't have asked for a more loving family! Again, I AM SO SO SO SORRY!!

All my love, prayer & tears,

April F.
dmpls2220@hotmail.com

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with Austin and the family as you go thru this time. I cried when I read this. GOD BLESS YOU ALL !

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Heather said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. Austin is so very special ~ I wish I could meet him! But I know I will someday.

Just know that you have people all over praying for you and your family.

My daughter passed away nearly 9 years at almost 1 year of age - the poem that you closed with brought me a great deal of comfort.

There are no words for me to close with, only that Austin is lucky to have such an amazing mom!

~Heather

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobby and I just heard the news and want you to know that you and your family are in our prayers. We are very sad about the news and just wish you all the strength to make it through the hard times. Austin is such a cute and bright child. We are sending you our love.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Gwen said...

I am so sorry to hear the sad news. I check on Austin every day and will be praying for him and for all of you. Love, Gwen

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you! Sending lots of love, hugs and kisses to Austin!!! May God comfort Austin and be with you.

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I have been following Austin's page daily and am so sorry to read your latest blog. Your family in Mobile is thinking of y'all daily and wish you God's peace.

All our love,
Leslie

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another reader for a few months now, Im so sorry to hear the news. I pray that God keeps you close through this. Many prayers

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
I am so sorry to hear this news. I always think about Austin and will continue to for the rest of my life. You and Austin are always in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for being a strong mommy. Please know that I am here for you if you need anything. Please hug Austin for me and my family. Even Adam has been asking me how little Austin is doing. We love you Austin!

Marie Parker

 

Post a Comment

<< Home