li ar Austin Akin's Cancer Battle: Bone Marrow Aspiration








Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Bone Marrow Aspiration

Today at Patel's Austin was scheduled for his bone marrow aspiration. When we arrived I was told that they would do it no matter what, even if his counts were down. So they prepped him for his procedure. His white count was up but his platelets were down again to 32 (thinking he will need platelets on Friday). I decided to stay in there with Austin although last time it wasn't a pleasant site but I felt I have seen it all. I haven't left his side for anything other then stuff he had done where I could not attend. It went very well. To me the experience was better then last time. Must be because I knew what to expect. He grunted a lot and Patel didn't seem to have trouble getting the marrow out. After taking one side he told his nurse to give Austin some more of the sedation to really put him out. Afterwards they kept his monitors on for a few minutes and I sat there talking to him. He seemed he was going to come off the table so I picked him up and held him. I told him it has been a long time since I was able to hold him like a baby. He laid still for me and I rocked him. Patel then came in and said here let me take him and carried him into a suite for recovery. He says he likes to carry the kids since he doesn't get to do it very much. I felt this is very sweet. He truly loves these kids with all of his heart. He fought laying down for awhile and then all of a sudden he fell asleep. He slept for a good hour and I whispered "MILK" in his ear and he woke up and drank milk and ate crackers. He was very "drunk" acting and was that way for at least an hour. When we got home he tried to go about his playing but was falling all over. We had to try to contain him which was just about impossible. I even tried to get him to lay down with me. He decide against that. So now as I type he is just going about his playing. I am the one that needs the nap. He is still a little wobbly. But refuses to sit down.

I know the next question on everyone's mind is "when will you know the results?" Patel said he should know today. Now for us finding out, I am not sure. They may call us at the end of their work day. I am pretty patient about finding out. I have a good feeling about it and I look at it as if it is not out then we will get it next round.

I hope that answers everyone's questions and I will try and post the results as soon as I know. In the evening it is hard for me to get on as it is fussy time for Austin and time for me to get dinner ready. After dinner I get Austin bathed and ready for bed. Will post again when we get news.

Elizabeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home